Wednesday 5 August 2015

Let the Baking begin....Maltese Style

So tonight the 6th season of the Great British Bake-off begins. Bakeoff is a marvellous show, made great by its hosts: the comedy duo of Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, the baking master Paul Hollywood (and I'm totally convinced he changed his name because no one's surname is *that* awesome) and finally, the top notch Mary Berry (again, surname...this one rhymes!!). Every year I look forward to seeing this foursome get their wit on, wait anxiously for the raised eyebrows when, ironically, the bakes fail to rise, and giggle at every mention of Mary's soggy bottom. Great stuff, and I don't even like cake!

This year, boyfriend has set up some sort of bake-off competition with his workmates. This is apparently akin to their traditional Football World Cup stakes, but instead of betting money on footballers, they bet cakes on bakers. In other words, if the baker you bet on gets kicked out of the competition, you have to take a home-made baked goody into work. Smashing! Of course, since boyfriend can't bake, he has promised my culinary skills as the consolation prize, but has at least promised to lick the bowl.

The only flaw as far as I can see, is that whoever bets on the winner *does not* need to bring in a cake. Which, frankly, makes no sense, because he who picks a winner can bake cake.

I thought about setting up the same competition at my place of work, but decided there was nothing in it for me given my loathing of sweet goods. Honestly, why eat cake when you can eat bread? Or sausages? Makes sense in my head. So I've decided that instead I will be making an effort to bake something savoury every weekend that Bakeoff is on, and post about it. I'm hoping that watching Bakeoff will inspire me to do this - after all I got that amazing recipe for harissa, goat's cheese and olive plaited loaf from last year's competition, and it went down a treat. Several times :D

Literally the best bread ever


So stay tuned folks, for the many culinary delights to come, interspersed with my favourite quotes from this year's competition. Maybe I'll translate them into Maltese. Or maybe I'll just wax lyrical about Paul H's dreamy blue eyes. Wait and see!

1 comment:

  1. Malta dining room

    Welcome to HomeWorks, Get the best Malta interior design architecture service for homes. We are a leading service provider of Malta Interior design solutions for your living room, dining room, bedroom and kitchen of the home.

    ReplyDelete